Friday, June 03, 2005

Silence is Golden

'In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.'

Mahatma Gandhi

I just love this Gandhi quote.

During 2004 I had a month of almost total 'silence' that enabled me to make some life changing decisions.

I shared my innermost thoughts with myself and spent much of the month alone.

Some will think that was self-indulgence in the extreme - and I accept their point of view - but, with the support of Annie, it helped me find a path forward.

During that month I wouldn't say things became crystal clear but it did provide me with a direction to follow.

Some say 'A problem shared is a problem doubled' and whilst I don't sign up to that, I can see the relevance of the remark.

I would rather say 'Seek your counsel wisely.'

On a lighter note ....

Not quite as profound as Gandhi perhaps ....but a 1960's Liverpool band called The Merseys (I think it was - someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure)) had a hit record called Silence is Golden and that says the same thing!

4 comments:

timage said...

trevor...nice to connect with you and i've added you to my bloglines account so i'll be up to date on your posting.

i've written a couple thoughts on silence and offered a cool quote at my site. enjoy!

Trevor Gay said...

Thanks Tim - great to 'meet' - lets keep in touch :-)

Anonymous said...

I think it was the Tremeloes that scored a hit with silence is golden.

Trevor Gay said...

Thanks for that

The Tremeloes ... mmmmmm you are probably right.

I am old enough to remember but I obviously slipped up with that one ..... maybe I should just say it was a deliberate mistake to get some comments :-)