Monday, April 09, 2007

My most influential boss

The boss who influenced me most was my first one when I was 16 in 1969 and beginning a career in healthcare as a clerk in my local hospital.

He was meticulous in every thing he did; very much a detail man; and very formal. Oddly enough those three qualities are definitely not my greatest strengths. I still have the utmost respect for him and I often think about his style even now, 38 years later.

The reason he influenced me more than other boss is because he taught me the importance of working hard. He told me regularly that we get nothing for nothing in our career – hard work is the best we can give. How right he is.

Who has been your most influential boss - in a positive sense - and why?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learning from example is the best way I think. I have not had a boss like that. But I could isolate traits of some bosses, of some team mates and even of some clients and that could make up a good exemplary boss.

Trevor Gay said...

I agree Felix. I have a number of role models from whom I have picked up tips and advice.

I look at the success Roy Keane is currently enjoying as a new football manager at Sunderland Football Club in England and I wonder how much of Keano’s style is influenced by playing under Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson for 10 years or so.