Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It's all about people for crying out loud!

You won’t be surprised to learn that I believe management is ALL ABOUT PEOPLE.

If we get the 'people thing' right everything else falls into place. If we are not thinking people first in EVERYTHING we do then I think we can pack up and go home.

I am not saying process is not important – of course it is. I would say the mix in the most successful business is one gallon of passion and one pint of process. Most organisations I know have those proportions the wrong way round and then they wonder why there is no innovation and enthusiasm.

I sign up fully to the Tom Peters view that 'soft' is 'hard.'


Any process management is simple – it’s a stroll in the park compared to the really difficult stuff which is always to do with people. How do we coach them to bring out the best in them? How can we help them? How can we get them to buy into our dream?

Two thoughts:


1 I've often been told I am too ‘soft and fluffy’ as a manager.

2 I've been told I am not ‘hard enough’ to be a Chief Executive.

I plead guilty to both charges with great pride. My view has always been if you only have to be ‘hard’ to be a CEO then you are not skilled enough in the really important stuff of coaching people.

No comments: