Thursday, February 03, 2005

Great leaders are humble

To appear wise, one must talk; To be wise, one must listen. To appear to lead, one must put oneself first; To lead, one must put oneself last.

Nicholas Gordon

I just love this extract from a Nicholas Gordon quote.

Leadership is a subject that has always intrigued me.

How come there are some people I would take a pay cut to work for ... while there are some people I would not work for if they paid me double my current wages.

The greatest leaders in my experience are humble and not conceited.

Extrovert charisma is not necessary to make a person a great leader.

The most important qualities I recognise in people who I have followed are humility and selflessness.

1 comment:

Rocky said...

I too am intigued by leadership. I really like your quote about taking a pay cut to work for some people and rejecting double the salary for others. it seems to be a very toxic time in my particular business. As a result many people are literally becoming physically ill. Numerous people are on sick leave due to stress and its effects. I think that speaks volumes about leadership and the kind of work environment that created. learning how to respond to this environment is an education all its own.