Wednesday, February 09, 2005

He (or of course She) Who Hesitates is Lost!

Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness.
Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that moment when one definitely commits oneself then Providence moves too.
All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision raising in one’s favour.
All manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt, could have come his way.
I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe’s couplets: "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.”

W. H. Murray

I came across this very interesting quote the other day.

It reminded me of the thousands of good ideas that are lost because someone 'backed out' - probably just when they were on the verge of something great.

What held them back was perhaps 'hesitancy.'

I have discovered over many years that we sometime see doors as closed that are in fact open. Often I have been surprised that I am pushing at an open door.

I had a boss once who helped me a lot with this hesitancy dilemma.

I was very hesitant about doing something that could have rebounded badly if it had gone wrong - not only on me - but on the organisation as well.

The advice of my boss was "Just do it Trevor!”...

I did it ... guess what? ...it worked! - he wasn't surprised and I was relieved!

My boss was not necessarily the greatest leader I ever worked for but one thing he did have was the ability to go with his feelings.

Sometimes it is essential the heart rules the head methinks.

No comments: