Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Share your Objectives

Over at Blog Synergy my friend Phil Gerbyshak has outlined the importance of sharing objectives with others.

Phil has shared his objectivces and his progress against them in a very open and inspiring way. The title of his posting is "Unleash the Power of We to Achieve Your Goals"

When I was younger – probably arrogant and certainly naive, I used to do what everyone else did – keep my objectives to myself. That was just how it was for all of us involved in management.

As I got older and hopefully a bit wiser it made more sense to tell as many people as possible what my objectives were because then they offered help!! And of course I felt more confident in my ability to achieve my objectives.

Take a look at Phil’s posting and also make sure you check out his new book here

The book is called 10 Ways to Make it Great – I have already ordered my copy!

4 comments:

Phil Gerbyshak said...

Sharing is caring Trevor, so I'm glad to share my goals with you and others. And I thank you for caring enough to share my book with your readers.

Anonymous said...

When I turned 40 I realized I didn't have the time to waste on "just fitting in." Now I know that life is really too short to be anyone other than who I am. My objectives are directly connected to that reality.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Trevor Gay said...

Thanks for that Eric.

Less than 2 years ago when I was 52 I left my 35 year management career in the UK National Health Service. It was the best professional decision I ever made.

It put me in control and now I know if I do not work I do not eat so accountability has sharpened somewhat. Having said that it is the most liberating thing I have ever done. Breaking free from my comfort blanket has worked for me.

I am not arrogant enough to say everyone should do it because of course circumstances are different for all of us. Speaking personally I am now accountable to the guy in the mirror and that is real accountability in my book.

I always ask myself things like - 'Did you try hard enough Trevor?' - 'Did you do your homework?' If the answer is ‘yes’ I sleep easily.

Thanks for visiting Simplicity Blog - I hope you will visit again :-)

Trevor Gay said...

My pleasure Phil :-)