Tuesday, May 16, 2006

'Necessity is the Mother of Invention' - Victor Hugo 1852

I find it it amazing how one can re-prioritise when FORCED to.

I think Victor Hugo is right!

A couple of weeks ago I was depressed about the lack of access to the Internet and as a result I was worried about being unable to keep up the fast pace I tend to work at. My ‘virtual networking’ around the world is my bread and butter.

As the days and now weeks have passed I have been forced to reorganise my work to cope with the circumstances that have been forced upon me. As a result I have been able to keep on top of urgent work by regular visits to free Internet access at my local libraries and in addition I have been using the phone more thus making direct verbal contact.

It seems to me we must always remain sure that however bad things look, there is always ‘another way’ and most of all there is always hope.

This has made me think once more about how resilient we have to be in the world of business and organisations as things that are outside our direct control have a huge impact on our work and thus our life. We have to develop new answers to the old questions and this keeps us on our toes and so I believe this can be seen as good for us – however bad it feels sometimes. Was it John Major who said there is no gain without pain?

Of course no one wants to have these forced changes thrust upon us but sometimes life is like that and we have absolutely no choice and no control. My feeling is that this can and should be seen as another challenge that can be overcome and who knows we may actually find that our new style will be better than our old style.

The last four weeks has forced me to re-assess how I work. I have learned about priorities and making sure that in the limited time I have available on the internet I am clear and very focused about the ‘must be done’ and the ‘it would be nice to do.’

Enough of this rambling … I will soon be convincing myself this Internet disaster I have experienced for over 4 weeks has been good for me!!!

Back to work my Man!!!!!

8 comments:

Steve Sherlock said...

Yes, tough times can make men cry or make them try harder... we know which side you're on!

Keep at it. As some one else said, this too shall pass!

Trevor Gay said...

Hi Steve

'This too will pass' is an expression my geatest guru uses regularly and I now use it too.

Professor Geroge Giarchi is a wonderful inspiring teacher (76 years old going on 18)

I am fortunate enough to have George still as my academic supervisor - he is worth his weight in gold! :-)

Raphaël Zacharie de Izarra said...

Un texte peu connu de Victor Hugo

L'HALEINE SOLAIRE

Je déteste le soleil épais, pesant, éblouissant des beaux jours.

Les pluies en mai m'enchantent, étrangement. Un ciel couvert de nuages peut réveiller en moi les ardeurs les plus molles mais les plus authentiques. La vie, la vie poétique, cotonneuse, indolente, je la sens sous l'onde de mai, qu'elle prenne la forme de crachin tiède ou de grand voile humide. Mes humeurs s'affolent avec une exquise lenteur lorsque entrent en scène les particules d'eau qui virevoltent dans les airs, s'immiscent sur les toits, humectent les feuilles. Sur la ville la pluie vernale apporte une fraîcheur aqueuse pleine de l'odeur des champs. L'atmosphère est ralentie, trouble, chargée de réminiscences.

J'aime ne voir au-dessus de ma tête qu'un immense manteau d'une blancheur uniforme.

En juin le ciel entièrement couvert me donne une sensation d'éternité, de profondeur, mais aussi d'infinie légèreté. Les aubes de juin sans soleil me ravissent. A la lumière crue et directe de l'été je préfère la clarté douce et diffuse que filtre une barrière de brumes blanches.

En juillet je n'espère que l'éclat nivéen d'une lumière d'avril. Certains jours du mois estival la nue ne laisse passer aucun rayon, alors les champs de blé deviennent pâles comme si la Terre était devenue la Lune.

Août, je le préfère sous un vent doux et serein plutôt qu'embrasé par des tempêtes de lumière. Là, le monde m'apparaît sous son vrai jour : sans les artifices et superficialités communément inspirés par l'astre.

L'alchimie nuageuse provoque en moi un mystère de bien-être qui m'emporte loin en direction des espaces nébuleux, haut vers l'écume céleste.

Entre genèse des étoiles et éveil du bourgeon.

VICTOR HUGO

Trevor Gay said...

Vous remercier Raphael – les salutations d'Angleterre – j'espère que vous appréciez le Blog de Simplicité !

Anonymous said...

I think you are off by about 2 thousand years on that quote. Plato said, "Necessity, who is the mother of invention" about 450 years BC

Trevor said...

Thanks Anonymous - whats 2000 years betwen friends :-)

Charles Rapson said...

Fancy that.
I was looking for the source of this quotation for a presentation I'm doing. You come up pretty high on Google and the best answer I found. Some say it was Plato but its disputed. I'm going with Victor Hugo as it makes me sound more intelligent than I am and I trust the source (aka Trevor Gay) more than Wikipedia. I think the actual quotation was Necessity is the mother of all invention and he may have been plagiarising Plato? Whichever. I now sound more intelligent. Cheers Trev. Charles Rapson.

Trevor Gay said...

Glad to have been of assistance Charles - hope you are well Sir!