Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Accepting Change

Change is always difficult.

I remember hearing a friend tell the story that he went along to a 30 year school reunion. He said the only person who had not changed was him!

It was of course tongue in cheek but within that there is an important statement.

Mahatma Gandhi said ‘You must be the change you wish to see in the world’

So many people are passionate advocates of change that does not affect them directly – we have to get an emotional connection with the change if we really want to understand it.

My style as manager has always been to try and understand what is the rationale for any change? Then I can try and sell it.

But the greatest test of any change is surely - Would I accept it personally?

GK Chesterton wrote a letter to The Times in answer to their question in the reader’s letters section – What is wrong with the world?

His letter was the shortest of the lot ….. It read as follows:

Dear Sir

In answer to your question what is wrong with the world – I am.

Yours sincerely

GK Chesterton

My message? – Before implementing change ask yourself – would I accept this?

No comments: