Monday, December 05, 2005

John Lennon on love

Annie and I listened on BBC Radio Four, to an interview recorded in 1970 featuring John Lennon.

It was a terrific programme with some remarkable insights into the genius that was Lennon. Below is an extract about his description of the love between himself and Yoko Ono. There can surely be no more powerful way of expressing love for someone else;

“She (Yoko) can turn me on to a million things. I can be alone without Yoko – I just have no wish to be. There is no reason on earth why I should be alone. There is nothing more important than our relationship. Nothing. We dig being together all the time and both of us could survive apart but what for? I’m not going to sacrifice love, real love, for any whore, or any friend, or any business, because in the end you are alone at night and neither of us want to be. You can’t fill the bed with groupies – it doesn’t work. I don’t want to be a swinger. I’ve been through it all and nothing works better than having someone you love hold you.” - John Lennon

Extract from Jann Wenner's seminal 1970 New York interview with Lennon

3 comments:

Troy Worman said...

Very cool. One of my favorite things about John Lennon is that he spoke in common language. And in doing so, his genius was all the more brilliant.

It's something to strive for...

Trevor Gay said...

Thanks Troy - I agree

Simplicity was John Lennon view of life though he was a highly intelligent man with ideas way ahead of his time. The interview we listened to from 1970 was full of great wisdom and all of it was based on common sense - no big words and no pretentiousness. Definitely a genius and such a tragic way to die. What a waste of talent. One of Britains greatest men of the 20th century

Pepsicology said...

I have always tried to understand why John Lennon is still so present,maybe he was a genius who died like an hero but please we have more characters alike in history. I am a little overwhealmed by the attention pay to this figure by the media on this ocassion and I am starting to think it just all may be a Michael Jackson's commercial strategy. To me -for not mentioning to youngster- this man was an OK icon of a precise social movement and that was it. With all my respects to his fans I think he and his wife were a bit too exhibitionist of their intimate relationship and I don't see the true love in there sorry. Was he pioneer of the yellow press too or what?