Friday, February 01, 2008

Early Management Gurus

I’ve been persuaded that the greatest management gurus lived many centuries ago. It seems my management hero Tom Peters was not actually the first one after all!

How about the two pieces of pure wisdom shown below for present day managers? This advice is free and goes back fifteen hundred years and one thousand years.

So often in modern management we think that we must understand absolutely everything before we take any action.

This wonderful ‘old world’ wisdom tells us that we should just simply ‘believe’ and then work to understand, rather than be obsessed with searching for understanding and look for proof of everything before we believe.

To me it’s called having faith in what you feel is ‘right’ in your gut – ‘going with your heart’ as I often describe it.

I cannot see how this can possibly be considered controversial …. But I’m sure some of you will come back to me with a counter view.

Anyway – here is the wisdom – let me know what you think:

“Credo ut intelligam – translation; I believe in order to understand.” - St Augustine of Hippo: (354-430 AD)

“I do not seek to understand in order that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand” -
Anselm (1033-1109)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good quotes.One must understand before they can believe. I think that is a real problem in todays fast paced society, people often do not take the time to understand. As I grow in leadershippositions I learn how vital it is to take time to understand before I react.I have made many mistakes and most of them can be traced back a lack of understanding.

Trevor Gay said...

Your experience of making mistakes is the same as mine Rocky - I've been a fully paid up member of that club all my career :-)