Sunday, January 30, 2005

Check, Follow Up, Then Check and Follow Up Again

‘The Problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished’
George Bernard Shaw

I am really interested in communication ….

I have often been accused of obsessional checking that things have been done.

The older I get the more I believe I am right.

I recently wanted to get some documentation signed in time for a reduction in my January payment of a certain direct debit.

I decided to trust the system between my Solicitor and my Building Society without chasing either of them. I was assured the forms would be processed in time for my payment at the end of January.

I must admit I had an uneasy feeling and felt I should check that things were actually happening that I was told would happen … but no … for once I decided to let the system happen without my ‘interference.’

Of course it was a mistake not to check and chase and when I finally did chase things it was too late to effect the reduced payment for my direct debit in time for January payment … net result? … Me out of pocket and two agencies oblivious that their inadequate and ineffective communication had a negative effect on the customer i.e. me!

The lesson? ….despite the reputation I have of being an obsessional checker … I will obsessionally check even more to make sure things get done that are ‘promised.’

Morale of the story … if you want something doing well do it yourself!!!

Or words to that effect

1 comment:

Trevor Gay said...

Well said Felix

I simply don't understand why people in organisations don't take communication with their customers more seriously. There is NOTHING more important.

Communication is probably the reason behind most problems in life - even wars!!!

Trevor